zoeyork

Zoe's Books

I could read before I could write. I read now, when I can't write, or when I'm stuck in a writing rut. I read early in the morning, and late at night. I read to feel, and escape from feelings, and explore feelings I've never had but I'm curious about. I read for adventure and romance and passion and the journey. I read to my kids. I try to read to my husband, but he's busy reading himself. And he laughs at all the naughty parts...I don't get it, they're my favourite passages!

The Reluctant Amazon
Sweetened With a Kiss
Lexxi Callahan
Over the Edge
Susan Lohrer
Return to You (A Laurel Heights Novel)
Kate Perry
Axel (Corps Security, #1)
Harper Sloan
A Crazy Homecoming (Crazy, Texas) (Volume 1)
Cate Baylor
Out of His League - Cathryn Parry I don't usually read Harlequin Superromances. They're too long and don't have nearly enough sex. But I make exceptions for uncommon stories, and I'm glad I read Out of His League. The sports romance isn't uncommon, of course, but the prickly, antisocial heroine is, and I really liked this exploration of an introvert figuring out how to open herself up to another person - a very public person at that.

I really liked how long it took for the couple to admit their attraction to each other, and then how it took a few false starts to get on the same page once they did.

All the family stuff was extraneous for me, but I get that's what SRs are about, so I won't criticize the book for working within its category. That being said, I wish there was more after the final chapter, and after 300 pages, I probably shouldn't. So a bit less family, and a bit more relationship detail after the resolution, and this would have been a big hit for me. As it was, I'd give it 3.75/5, but I'm rounding up because I love prickly heroines and the nice guys that fall in love with them. Parry got that dynamic just right.

A couple of things rankled me, but they're nitpicky, and not about the story:
* The cover photo - his hair is WRONG - and this isn't the first time I've made this complaint about a Harlequin Superromance. Their cover art department needs a talking to. In this case, the hero's hair is referenced repeatedly throughout the story, it's a plot point. GET IT RIGHT.
* At one point the hero talks about playing ball across the U.S. and in "Toronto, Canada". Harlequin is a Canadian company. Their style guide should ban such references. It's a world-class city. Enough to reference it as "Toronto". Or not, and just say "Canada". But not both. It's weird.