zoeyork

Zoe's Books

I could read before I could write. I read now, when I can't write, or when I'm stuck in a writing rut. I read early in the morning, and late at night. I read to feel, and escape from feelings, and explore feelings I've never had but I'm curious about. I read for adventure and romance and passion and the journey. I read to my kids. I try to read to my husband, but he's busy reading himself. And he laughs at all the naughty parts...I don't get it, they're my favourite passages!

The Reluctant Amazon
Sweetened With a Kiss
Lexxi Callahan
Over the Edge
Susan Lohrer
Return to You (A Laurel Heights Novel)
Kate Perry
Axel (Corps Security, #1)
Harper Sloan
A Crazy Homecoming (Crazy, Texas) (Volume 1)
Cate Baylor
Be Mine:  SizzleToo Fast to FallAlone With You - Jennifer Crusie, Shannon Stacey, Victoria Dahl Okay, first of all, Harlequin should be ashamed of themselves for putting Jennifer Crusie's Sizzle in this anthology. It was written in 1994 and is terribly outdated. I doubt it would have held up twenty years ago either, but Richard is just offensive by today's standards. I've never wanted to punch a character in the face as much as I did. Complete fail, that would be a 1/5 rating except I don't think it's fair to evaluate Crusie's first story, two decades after she wrote it, when she probably didn't have a say in it being reprinted (Harlequin owns the rights). But if we could separately rate publishers, HQN would get -5 out of 5 stars for including this story. It had nothing to do with Valentine's Day, and didn't match the tone or topic of the other two stories in any way.

The 4/5 stars are for Victoria Dahl and Shannon Stacey's contributions. Modern, interesting, sexy, sweet novellas, Too Fast to Fall and Alone With You were everything that Sizzle wasn't. Both novellas are about average people in small towns, a romance construct I adore. Too Fast to Fall was almost perfect, in fact. I love love love Victoria Dahl, and this was her at her best. I'm less familiar with Shannon Stacey, but after reading Alone With You, I'm excited to read more of her Kowalski series.