zoeyork

Zoe's Books

I could read before I could write. I read now, when I can't write, or when I'm stuck in a writing rut. I read early in the morning, and late at night. I read to feel, and escape from feelings, and explore feelings I've never had but I'm curious about. I read for adventure and romance and passion and the journey. I read to my kids. I try to read to my husband, but he's busy reading himself. And he laughs at all the naughty parts...I don't get it, they're my favourite passages!

The Reluctant Amazon
Sweetened With a Kiss
Lexxi Callahan
Over the Edge
Susan Lohrer
Return to You (A Laurel Heights Novel)
Kate Perry
Axel (Corps Security, #1)
Harper Sloan
A Crazy Homecoming (Crazy, Texas) (Volume 1)
Cate Baylor
Crystal Cove - Lisa Kleypas I'm not able to rate this book right now. I've read too many other reviews and they're floating in my head. I'm going to leave some notes, and come back to this when I have some distance.

Liked:
* Justine, and everything about her (the inn, her support system, especially Sage and Rosemary)
* Jason, and almost everything about him (his job, his plans for investing his wealth, his insta-love for Justine)
* Friday Harbor
* the insta-love (I mentioned in for Jason, but it bears repeating, because it worked in the story, I thought - especially because there were external influences driving the revelation)
* Their time at the lighthouse
* The ending
* Truth or dare
* The second delivery of vodka
* San Diego
* The writing ... LK can paint a picture like no one else

Did not like:
* This book was ... different than the rest of the series. More paranormal - the magic wasn't subtle and secret, it was wham-bam, central to the story. That sort of makes sense because Justine was raised by coveners, but ... I dunno. It wasn't what I expected, and I really liked Rainshadow Road and Dream Lake. Actually, I loved the latter. Loved. And it's safe to say that I did not love this book. I just don't know how much I liked it.
* How much Jason was wrapped up in Japanese traditions. (Ha! Wrapped up. That wasn't intentional, but it works.) I lived in Japan for a year and a half, which certainly doesn't make me an expert, but I knew guys that got all into the culture, and without exception they were kind of creepy. I really didn't want Jason to be creepy. And then he tied Justine up, and stole her most prized possession... so, yeah, that was creepy. This spoiler is really just my opinion: And the bondage was SO unnecessary to the story!

See? The first list is sooooo much longer. All of those things were delicious. But the only two things I didn't like, I really didn't like. Argh. So, no rating for now.